Grateful Dead Live at Southern Star Amphitheater on 1985-08-30
C C Rider
Looks Like Rain
Scarlet Begonias ->
Touch Of Grey
Samson And Delilah ->
Gimme Some Lovin' ->
The Wheel ->
The Other One ->
Collection GratefulDeadBand/Artist Grateful DeadVenue Southern Star AmphitheaterLocation Houston, TXSource MAC; (FOB) 2 x Sennheiser 441 > Sony D5 > Sony D5 > 2 x Maxell MX 90. FOB, DFC, no more than 20 feet back from stage/ PAS - black shawl over mics (to avoid security).Lineage Master Audience Cassettes> Nakamichi Dragon> Kind Kables RCA/XLR> Lunatec V3 (@ 24/96)> coax> Audiophile 2496> WaveLab 5.0> .wav @ 24/96> Waves L3 UltraMaximizer > .wav @ 16/44.1 > TLH > FLAC16Taped by Mark McCueTransferred by Alex Ford
- Great clarity in the vocals and highs, especially Jerry's guitar and cymbals.
- Bob's vocals and guitar are high in the mix for a change, especially in the first set.
- 24/96 version will follow.
- Master Audience Cassettes provided by and from the collection of Mark McCue.
- From Mark - "sounds like everyone had brand new strings".
- Entire recording pitch corrected, using shnid #25470 as a guide.
- d1t02 Jack Straw - vocals cut in and out from 0:08 through 0:27.
- d2t05 Drums - Bob and Brent on stage from 0:00 through 1:15.
- d2t10 Morning Dew - static from 7:19 through 7:26.
- *"The Wheel" tease before "Gimme Some Lovin'"
- Shnid #25470 supplied patches for tape flips during Sets I and II and the intro to Scarlet Begonias.
- Big thank you to Jamie W. and Mike K. for their invaluable assistance.
July 14, 2012
Best '80 Drums > Space EVER!!!
- Taped by Adam, Justin & Monica.
- Transferred, edited and mastered by Alex Ford.
- First seeded to www.shnflac.net 12/08/2008
- SHNID 96289
- Brought To You By Live Music Preservation Project ( http://www.livemusicpreservationproject.com )
- Contact email@example.com
Jeff Knorek from Nova Scotia
August 30, 2011
yup, Jerry sounds plug-awful
The first thing I notice about this show is how short it is, especially for 1985 standards. Knowing how horrible Jerry looked in '85, and how pained his voice often sounded then, my first guess was that this is a short show because Jerry wasn't feeling good. Upon reading the reviews of other copies, I seem to be correct. High heat and high humidity are really unconfortable for those who are overweight, and combined with Jerry's chemical dependencies I can onlyimagine that he felt terrible this night. His voice sure sounds like it, and that Scarlet>Touch seems to confirm it, as if he wants to simly get this show over with. That stated, the Touch is as strong as any from the period.
Nevertheless, this tape sounds AWESOME and boy I could list scores of shows that I wish had audience recordings, amplitheater shows in particular, that sound as good as this one. And, as usual, Drums>Space is awesome. But I can't give this show a stellar rating....5 stars for recording, 2 for performance (except Drums>Space, which is 5 stars)
December 21, 2009
Didn't have time to listen to the whole show, so take my rating with a grain of salt, but hell, blistering Morning Dew, as well as some other gems.
December 26, 2008
Drumz & Space and then some.....
you're so right Rezco. Terrific D>S as is typical of '85. Don't overlook the sweet melodic jam into the Wheel either, or the Bird Song, or the Straw or the.............. : )
What a terrific recording. Nice job by the Albix-McCue team. Keep em coming.
December 13, 2008
LOVE THE DRUMS AND SPACE the best i have heard
and its right here